Monday, November 8, 2010

Studio Kinate: "Field of Dreams" Part II

Ease [their] Pain

For those who haven't seen the movie, let me set it up for you. After Ray builds the field, he waits and waits, is about to give up when, ta-da, Shoeless Joe Jackson shows up.  The next day, Joe shows up with some of his old team mates so Ray and Annie enjoy a few days watching them play.  Suddenly, the voice returns: "Ease his pain." "Whose pain?!"  shouts Ray.  Whose pain is my question.


When I started out on this adventure, I knew two things.  Where I was and where I wanted to be.  My biggest questions were how do I get there and who  will this benefit?  Young (or not-so-young) wanna be animators? Traditional animators? Professionals who've left California/NY? Women? Like Ray, I may think I know the answer to that question but each day I learn about another level of pain that animators, audiences and other artists feel.  I can't ease all their pain alone, but I can bring together an amazing team (family) and together we can build something fantastic!


Why ease their pain?  Because the system, in my opinion is broken.  Jobs are being shipped overseas, artists, unlike many other professionals, feel threatened, intimidated, and used. I feel it is time that they be given the respect they deserve.  They are professionals.  They deserve to work in an environment where they are respected, where their ideas have worth and they have careers rather than jobs.  


Studio Kinate is making difference for artists, animators and audiences and more is yet to come. Young people are working and learning from professionals and veterans. Writers have developed original content.  Musicians are composing songs that will set our animated stories apart.  


To "ease their pain," we have to be different.  Our characters have to be grounded in strong stories. And, of course, our Animation needs to be Unlimited!

No comments:

Post a Comment