Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Outside the Box

I've often said that I am an "out-of-the-box" thinker.  Yet, sometimes I think that while I claim it, I still fall under the same old paradigms that trap many of us.  Take animation, for instance, it is a way to tell stories using drawn character, for the screen (television, film, etc.) and yet, it is so much more.  And it wasn't until recently, when I've been contemplating the future of Studio Kinate, that I realized the "box" I had built.  Animation isn't just characters telling a story, it is, as Mr. Disney once suggested, a medium with which to conquer worlds!

 I admire Moonbot for how they are beginning to crack through that invisible wall with their short, The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore.  They brought animation into a book and are currently working on an interesting "noir" project with Sony.  There is also a cute story from a French company that is an "interactive" story called, "The Witch with No Name.  Personally, I can see that animation, storytelling, will be combined with technology to form new ways to entertain and educate. There are SO many worlds for us to envision and produce.  We as creative professionals have only scratched the surface of what we can create using animation and technology.  So, let me encourage you today, to put away your preconceived ideas and expand your creative mind, challenge yourself to create outside the box.  Also, remember that just because you're not an animator, there are many ways to create.  Join with artist who draw, musicians, editors, designers, programmers, pool your creativity and serve it piping hot to the world!

So, go and create.  Until next time, this is Momma bear,
Char

No comments:

Post a Comment