Saturday, November 27, 2010

The timeless lessons of a "One Room" School House


When I was young I attended a "one-room" school.  For those who are unfamiliar, imagine students from K-12 having one teacher.  I know some of you think this would be total chaos but the success of that type of school can be attributed in part to older students acting as teaching assistants, helping younger students with assignments.  They also watched over younger students during recess, which was a time of play and more learning for everyone.  This memory was triggered while I read Innovate the Pixar Way by Bill Capodagli and Lynn Jackson, specifically the chapter "Ready Set, Go!" Now I see there are timeless lessons in that old school experience.  Everything was about family, just like my vision for Studio Kinate.  I can see the benefit of a multi tiered model where we mentor, support and develop together.  It is important not to copy but to innovate.


Next year is going to be the first of many busy years for Studio Kinate. We will begin production on animations for the Office of Naval Research under the leadership of Rusty Mills.  We will be prioritizing our production schedule, developing our stories, meeting clients, seeking investors, attending conferences/workshops/seminars, etc.  WHEW!  In the midst of that beehive of activity, and no matter how big Studio Kinate becomes, I will remember to observe the lessons of the one-room school—no one is left out ,and we’ll make work and learning FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment