Who is Char?

My photo

We moved to Michigan in 2014 and fell in love with the scenery and the people. In 2016, we attended a Keuring event, which is a judging venue of Friesian foals, mares, and stallions. We were awestruck. We had only admired the horses in movies and were overwhelmed by their beauty up close. As spectators, we had tons of questions about the horses and the event and found the community willing to educate us. While talking to owners we soon learned that there was a need to support them and others in the equine industry with digital marketing and video support, so we’ve made that our mission.

We both love horses, we love road trips and we’d been looking for a way to work together. Seemed like a match made in heaven. SO, here we are, pooling our talents and passion, along with friends in the creative and tech industries, ready to support those in the Equine industry, starting with our Friesian friends.


Monday, September 28, 2009

Building a dream

At 55, many would think that I would be pondering retirement, winding down, mellowing my pace, but for me there has been a dream that has been burning deep within. Now it is becoming a reality. As a young girl, I longed for Sunday and "The Wonderful World of Disney." "Uncle Walt" would come on the screen and take us (me) on personal tours of his world. I wanted to draw for him but being a poor girl in a large family headed by an abusive father, all I could do was dream of surviving and leaving. Then at 19, found myself pregnant and alone.

I made the choice to become a mother. My focus from then on was taking care of my little girl, so I worked odd jobs until at 33 I married a man who saw gifts in me and encouraged me to go to college to pursue my lifelong dream of working in the entertainment industry. Our gifts will make a way for us but I had no idea what that would mean. So as I have begun to build Studio Kinate into the largest woman owned animation studio, located in Northern Virginia, I have encountered the most amazing family of artists, animators and creators in the industry. This blog will be about my journey. I will share with you the ups and downs in hope that you will gain courage to pursue your dream.

3 comments:

  1. Charlotte, this is Andy. I missed your visit to the University last week, but I've been wanting to tell you for awhile that I have great admiration for you.

    You hired me into the Media Lab with more enthusiasm than I had for myself, and your leadership was only a series of positive leaps as we all came to face increasingly difficult odds. I changed for the better having worked at that mysterious little production studio, as did I think all of us who came through there. You have a talent for bringing out the best in people, I've noticed -- and as rare and underrated that is in most workplaces, I have more than a feeling that this is what the unique culture of Studio Kinate will be known for.

    If anyone is going to turn your dream into reality, I would be hard-pressed to even suggest it could be anyone aside from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, we are all diamonds in the rough. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful Charlotte. I truly admire you. I know you will be successful in your reaching your goals. I'll be cheering for you along the way!

    Katrina

    ReplyDelete