Sunday, September 26, 2010

How do I get land a job in Animation?

In the last few months I've received many reels and resumes from people wanting a job at Studio Kinate and without exception, those people who come from schools where drawing and traditional animation skills are taught are the ones who rise to the top.  


Oh, I can hear the moans and groans out there but it isn't about style (2D vs 3D), it is about ability!  You may be able to do some nice stuff in Maya or can work your way around Flash, but if you don't know or understand the basics of squash and stretch, design a character who can express emotion, then you will need to learn it before getting hired or even get an internship at Studio Kinate. And if you think I'm harsh, then check out this clip of John Lasseter giving advice to aspiring animators.  John Lasseter: Advice for aspiring animation student?


So, if you want to work at Studio Kinate, get out your paper, pencil and books on animation.  THEN, send me your animatics.  That will tell me more about your skills than a polished reel.  Show me your work and I will show you the money.


Until next time, spread your wings, draw leaves swirling in the wind and let your imagination be unlimited.
Char  

No comments:

Post a Comment